5.14.2010

Hairless summer

There's nothing more liberating than having a hairless body during summer; in any season, actually.

I am not going to lie - I find hairy legs, and pits in women repulsive. Especially when someone raises a hand in class and I can see the bush they are growing in their armpit. Not only is it unattractive, it is also very unhygienic.

I work pretty hard to keep my body hairless and dedicate at least a small part of the week to pampering myself and taking care of my body. But this is not a rant, so I am going to stop complaining. If you want to collect the smell on the hair in your armpits - go ahead, however, I will pass.

It's spring - nearing summer, so for me, it is time to search for a good Brazilian waxer. I will gladly take care of the hair on the rest of my body, but that's one place I prefer to leave to a professional. Last year, I went to a woman pretty close to my house, she was thorough, had a great bedside manner, and her price was $60. She used both hard and soft wax, depending on the area she was working on, and if the wax did not get a hair or two, she would tweeze them. My nether region was smooth as a baby's butt - it was great.

I stopped going once school kicked in, I moved to my university apartment and driving over an hour to get waxed was not an option. I had a full day of classes and design meetings/rehearsals after that - I had no time for such luxuries.

Finally, at the beginning of April, I started searching for places to get waxed without being overcharged or painfully mutilated. Yelp is my best friend in this area. I went, and I read reviews, and I searched and I picked a couple of places. Then one day, I got a recommendation from a friend of mine for a woman she goes to - and it was not too far and only $45, which I took as "okay, I got to try this."

I went to the appointment yesterday and the place is tiny, they lock up the door while you are in session, they have relaxing music, sweet smelling perfume oils penetrating the air and everything is clean. I liked it. The woman went off to wash her hands while I lied down on the table, then we began. She was pretty quick, however, she used the same wooden stick throughout the whole procedure (to which I closed my eyes and looked the other way), and she only used blue wax for the whole area. This is probably why she ended up missing a couple of spots and not wanting to go over them again, ignored them altogether. Her technique was relatively painless, so I can't complain in that area. She also kept talking to keep my mind off the pain, although I did not see it too necessary - she was pretty painless compared to some.

She was done in a bit less than half an hour, I paid up ($54, as I have a habit of leaving tips), and I went home. And this is when I started noticing the differences:

While driving home, my panties stuck to the areas where she left some wax, and it was getting quite uncomfortable. The previous woman made sure to give me a lotion, some gentle cleaning solution, and antibiotic gel to put on before I left. I left with a non-sticky crotch, that was conditioned and was not about to get infected. But hey, I thought - I can always do this at home, since I have all of those supplies.

Next, I went home and proceeded to take a shower, wash myself up and put Neosporin on myself, to avoid infection. This is when I noticed just how much she missed. I spent the next forty-five minutes tweezing myself, while holding up a mirror with my other hand. It was awkward and unpleasant. When I was finally done, it looked pretty good, so I gave up on silently complaining to myself.

So, I started to wonder: do I want to pay $45 again and go through with this or do I want to pay $15 more and get every hair gone? To be honest, I don't know. I feel like I should give the second place another try - it might have been a bad day. On the other hand, it's my privates we're talking about and it's kind of important to take proper care of your body.

At this point, I have decided that I will see where I am in a month - if I am still in this uni apartment, I will go with the second woman. If, however, I am near home, I will cough up the $60 and enjoy my hairlessness.

Just a tip, girls. NEVER go to a place without researching it first. You may end up in the emergency room with burns and your skin ripped off. Oh, horror stories~

On another note, these two things will help in avoiding ingrown hairs and keeping the bacteria away. Use them right after your wax. They are available at drugstores, or you can buy them on Amazon:

Bikini Zone Medicated Creme for Bikini Area 1 oz (28 g)

Neosporin Antibiotic Ointment, 0.5 oz

Now that I have sufficiently weirded everyone out, I take my leave.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment